Thursday, June 19, 2014

this past Sunday was Father's Day


Since I wrote about my mom, I felt that it was appropriate to give my dad equal billing.  My dad sure did not inspire me to craft, but since he was a baker he did inspire me to take the journey into acquire baking knowledge.  My dad past away 6 years ago of a brain tumor.  Curious, since he was always feeding his brain.  He was not a Baker by choice, but rather out of necessity.  In Germany, at that time, WWII had just ended and he was a hungry 14 year old boy looking for food and warmth.  He had heard Since I wrote about my mom, I felt that I had to give my dad equal billing.  My dad sure did not inspire me to craft, but since he was a baker he did inspire me to take the journey into acquire baking knowledge.  My dad past away 6 years ago of a brain tumor.  Curious, since he was always feeding his brain.  He was not a Baker by choice, but rather out of necessity.  In Germany, at that time, WWII had just ended and he was a hungry 14 year old boy looking for food and warmth.  He had heard through the streets that there was a baker looking for apprentices and would provide food and shelter for their labor.  My dad thought that sounded like the thing to do.  Never having completed his education past 6th grade, he had little oportunities. After years of training he got a paying job in his trade. And not long after that he met up with a guy, who happened to be my uncle and they would hang out.  My uncle had a sister, my mom…and then rest is history.  My parents sold everything they had to move to the United States.  My dad opened a Bakery in Chicago. With the efforts of my mom they made a nice life for us.
For my dad’s funeral I had co-written the eulogy, and in it I wanted to make sure that it was said “ Richard was an interesting man, because he was interested”
He wanted to learn the English language as soon as he arrived in this country. Good with numbers he did his own accounting and book keeping. He wanted to learn about the Stock Market and take classes to invest.  He was always interested in people and learning about them and what made them who they were.  Richard may have only been a Baker, but he was proud of his accomplishments and his thirst for knowledge.  I am proud to be his daughter and sharing with me an entrepreneurial spirit.
 the streets that there was a baker looking for apprentices and would provide food and shelter for their labor.  My dad thought that sounded like the thing to do.  Never having completed his education past 6th grade, he had little opportunities. After years of training he got a paying job in his trade. And not long after that he met up with a guy, who happened to be my uncle and they would hang out.  My uncle had a sister, my mom…and then rest is history.  My parents sold everything they had to move to the United States.  My dad opened a Bakery in Chicago. With the efforts of my mom they made a nice life for us.
For my dad’s funeral I had co-written the eulogy, and in it I wanted to make sure that it was said “ Richard was an interesting man, because he was interested”
He wanted to learn the English language as soon as he arrived in this country. Good with numbers he did his own accounting and book keeping. He wanted to learn about the Stock Market and take classes to invest.  He was always interested in people and learning about them and what made them who they were.  Richard may have only been a Baker, but he was proud of his accomplishments and his thirst for knowledge.  I am proud to be his daughter and sharing with me an entrepreneurial spirit.

ciao for now, see you at knit happens

No comments: